History of the company:
This company was founded in 1915 in Pennsylvania by Abigail Geisinger. Since 1985, the Geisinger Health Plan has been assisting people by providing high-quality, affordable healthcare benefits. They are located at: 100 North Academy Ave., Danville, PA 17822. They provide services such as:
- primary care and specialists
- trauma centers
- medical education and research
Final company statement:
In 2010, the OTCNetwork was founded. They work with the best Medicare, Medicaid, and Commercial health plan providers to provide easier consumer access to eligible items using its reloadable prepaid cards. Their mission is to have their OTC cards accepted with as many as possible retail locations across the United States that sell over-the-counter medications.
Where can I use my Geisinger OTC Card?
Members of Geisinger Gold Classic 360 Rx, Secure Rx, Preferred 360 Rx, and Preferred Enhanced Rx include over-the-counter benefits. Members can use their OTC benefit card at participating retail locations, online or over the phone.
An OTC card will be mailed to your home once you enroll in an eligible plan. You can use this card like a regular credit or debit card for approved OTC items at a participating location. At the beginning of each month, Geisinger will apply a set amount / balance for you to use on approved OTC items.
Use Your OTC Member Benefit
What can I buy with Geisinger OTC Card?
Over the Counter Benefit:
With this program, eligible Medicare plan members the flexibility in selecting a pharmacy or retailer from whom they can purchase their OTC products from.
Over-the-counter drugs are safe and effective when you follow the directions on the label and as directed by your health care professional. These medicines can be purchased without a prescription and are usually used for the treatment of minor health problems.
How to get an OTC card:
If you’re a member of a plan with an over-the-counter (OTC) benefit, you will be mailed an Geisinger OTC card. This card can be used like a regular credit or debit card. There will be a pre-funded / pre-loaded quarterly allowance upon enrollment. Items that may be available with this allowance are:
- Acid Controllers
- Adult Cough, Cold & Flu Medication
- Adult Pain Relief Products
- Bandages / Band Aids
- Cough Drops / Sore Throat Items
- Contact Lens Care Items
- Diabetes Care Accessories
- Eye, Ear, Lip, Foot Bathing and Oral Care Products
- First Aid Items
- Vitamins and Minerals
- Much more!
Today, they offer eligible OTC Card Members access to a free and secure online card management tool. The online portal allows patients to perform the following tasks:
- Verify the card balance.
- Check the transaction history.
- View all the participating retailers.
- Verify exactly which items are eligible by scanning the barcode when using the mobile app. Or use search by product category, manufacturer, and product name by accessing or login in to an online account. (See below for steps on how to access an account.)
Choose one of the following ways to activate your Geisinger Gold / Secure Rx Over The Counter / OTC Card:
- Call the Card Services Department at: 1-800-498-9731.
Visit a participating pharmacy or retailer such as:
- Rite Aid
- Walgreens (Please note: Walgreens is not a part of Geisinger Gold’s Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage (Part D) pharmacy network. Therefore, any prescriptions filled at Walgreen’s will not be covered by your benefit. Only OTC items will be covered.)
- Dollar General
- Family Dollar
- Go to your online account for a complete list of locations. You will not need a prescription. You do not have to visit the pharmacy window. Just take your items to the front checkout lanes. When you are checking out, swipe the card for payment. All of the approved items will automatically be deducted from your card balance up to the allowable amount. Any remaining balance will be listed at the bottom of your receipt and can be used up until the next benefit period starts.
Can I shop online with OTC card?
Yes, view the steps provided below.
Activate the card online.
- Below is a step by step guide.
What you will need to have on hand to activate a card online:
- Have Your Medicare Member Plan ID card number
- Your OTC card number found on the front of the card
- The Date of Birth of the eligible member
Follow these easy steps below need to access the if you are a NEW MEMBER who needs to activate their card online: